Susquehanna Valley Construction Corporation is a Heavy/Highway Road Construction company. Rate of pay varies from project to project, but is determined by the prevailing wage rate listed in the specific job contract.
A LABORER is responsible for the majority of the physical labor performed on the job. This position is an entry level position where the individual can be trained in general construction activities including, but not limited to, basic rigging, use of hand & power tools, tying rebar, placing concrete, jackhammering, & manually lifting equipment/materials. This is a safety sensitive position.
- Must work quickly, productively and safely without error and consistently meet the production goals as set by the Foreman, Superintendent or Project Manager.
- Must consistently produce quality workmanship as judged by Company standards as well as those set forth by PennDOT/PA Turnpike inspection.
- Must have reliable transportation and show up to work on time every day.
- Must possess a current valid PA driver’s license in order to operate any company vehicles.
- Must be willing to travel to any and all job sites without exception (including staying away from home if necessary)
- Must comply with all company safety and personnel policies.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and carry 100 lbs.
- Must be able to climb, bend, stoop, kneel, lift overhead, work at heights, walk/work in rough terrain in order to access equipment, tools, materials, and jobsite in order to complete work.
- Must be able to work the hours necessary in order to achieve the goals of the company.
JOB SPECIFIC SKILLS
- Must demonstrate an ability and willingness to learn all aspects of bridge construction.
- Must have at a minimum a hammer, vice grips, pliers, adjustable wrench, tape and know how to use them. The individual will need to purchase these hand tools , & may need to obtain additional hand tools as needed for this position.
- Must become proficient in the use of drills, skill saws, hammer drills, & additional power tools.
- Push a wheelbarrow full of a load (concrete, bricks, debris, etc…).
- Lift and carry forms, lumber, tools, and numerous other materials and tools.
- Carry, place and tie reinforcing steel (rebar).
- Assist excavation or backfill activities with the use of a pick and shovel.
- Assist carpenters by measuring and cutting lumber, nailing, retrieving materials, etc.
- Rigging loads and signaling operators.
- Assist surveyors in stakeout by holding a tape, rod, plumb bob, prism, etc.
- Place, vibrate and learn to finish concrete.
- Assist in setting wood and steel form systems used by the company.
- Load and unload trucks.
- Perform general clean up around the job site.
- Use of a cutting torch (oxygen/acetylene).
- Perform all of the above functions in a safe manner in order to avoid personal injury &/or equipment damage.
- Monday thru Friday (typical)
- Eight(8) to ten(10) hours per day (typical), plus overtime (if necessary).
- Saturday and Sundays if necessary.
- Night shift if necessary.
- Work schedule is always prone to change due to weather, job restrictions, unforeseen delays, etc…
THE WORK ENVIRONMENT
Job sites are typically located in Pennsylvania. Job sites, because they are not shielded from the weather, can include excessive heat, cold, wind, rain and other weather related aspects. At times, work will be conducted on uneven terrain, at heights and near/over water.
Laborers will get direction and must follow instructions given by carpenters, operators, the Carpenter Foreman, Superintendent, Project Manager, Safety Director, Vice President and President. Laborers will be expected to cooperate and work productively with carpenters, operators, truck drivers, mechanics and all other trades.
Susquehanna Valley Construction Corporation complies with government regulations and affirmative action responsibilities. Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability. Women & minorities are encouraged to apply. Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).